Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday visiting the country side

Before going for our afternoon campaigning we took a drive to a local vineyard:  Glade Pike Winery.  I was amazed to find that they actually have vineyards or at least wineries here.  I forgot to ask where the grapes come from.  Redjeb said he saw some small barren vineyards around the main building, but maybe they buy grapes too.  This vineyard is owned by a family, the wife of which, is a Thomas of the Thomas Mills Feed Mill in Thomas Mills.

For those of you who don't know, this is a crossroads which is near Jerome and where I used to go for walks: down Thomas Mills Hill to Thomas Mills.

I learned that Kermit Yoder just died about a week ago.  He ran a local little store there, where my family went to shop.  He butchered his own meat and made his own sausage. I remember one time going in there years after I'd been away to graduate school etc., and when he asked me what I was doing and learned that I was studying.  He said in a an unbelieving and disappointed way:  "You're still in school?" He looked like he felt very sorry for me: I think he couldn't figure out why a good student was having such a hard time getting out of school.

But back to today:
After that we drove to Donegal, which is out in the country on the way to Pittsburgh.  On the way we passed Roaring Run, where my brother used to go to boy scout camp, I think.  

The young woman at the winery had suggested a little place for lunch in Donegal:  Out of the Fire Cafe.  Redjeb said his hamburger was the best he'd ever had and my crab cake was quite delicious.  A nice find.  Then we drove up and down hills and along windy country roads for miles heading for the town of Ligoneer, up in the mountains.  I'd never been on these road and it is truly beautiful country, particularly at this time of year with the leaves are changing.  There are farms, forests, horse farms, all sorts of cattle, sheep.  Redjeb was making fun of me every time I'd say look at the sheep, look at the cows!!

I'd always liked Ligoneer, which heralds a bit of the Revoluntionary War History.  It has a nice square in the center. We sat in a cafe sitting outside drinking hot chocolate.  Despite the cold, the sun was extremely warm.  This is an upscale community and probably quite McCain oriented.

Just as in New York we think everyone is liberal and for Obama.  Here in this world we feel that McCain is going to win.  The signs are everywhere in yards and along the highways.  I heard today from a volunteer at the office that Obama signs continue to be stolen.  He put up a new one after losing one, and glued it into glass bottles that he buried in the ground...but to no avail.  It was gone the next day.  Apparently the only ones to survive so far are those that say:  Veterans for Obama.  I guess that confuses the patriotic stealers.


No comments: