Friday, October 24, 2008

Football game

It's after midnight and I'm too tired to do a real blog.  We went to my old high school's football game this eve (Conemaugh Township High School a.k.a. CTHS).  We did some campaigning around Davidsville first, and then stopped off at the home of Sarah Ruth Telenko (Zwick).  She is my old friend Janice's cousin.  We all lived in Jerome.  I wasn't all that close to Sarah Ruth cause she was a few years older, but she was extremely nice to us this eve.  We went to the game and sat with her and her various relatives.  For any of the CTHS folks reading this email those from my day I saw at the game:
Ron Telenko and Carolyn MacDaniel, Milt Green (h.s.football hero), Gib Davis (h.s. football almost hero), Pat Shaffer, Lois (I forget her "maiden" name) and her husband Barry Springer.  

I think that Redjeb had seen only one football game before, so I was disappointed that this game was a bit slow.  But CTHS was at least ahead when we left after the third quarter (to go back to Sarah Ruth's to get warm and for some wine and snacks).

I used to play the bells in the band.  In those days the band had over 100 members, and we marched all over the field doing formations.  Today the band looked like it had about 20 members (measly).  And the cheerleaders, instead of wearing little skits and flipping over and doing all those acrobatics, wore matching track suits and had pom poms.  They just swayed around and did some kind of cheers that you couldn't understand.  Even I could have been that kind of cheerleader.  No one joined in like we used to:  CTHS! CTHS! CTHS!

Redjeb was amazed that we sang the Star Spangled Banner before the game and then our Alma Mater.  I was amazed that I could remember all the words (though now they've fled from my head for another 50 years).   (I was of course embarrassed when he asked loudly:  "What's that silly little song you were all singing?"  Silly little song, indeed.)  

He was also intrigued by all the timing that went on during the game (this many minutes left in this quarter or that down.)--and all the ceremony of the entrance of the teams, and now they even have horses running on the field with the riders dressed like Indians on the warpath.  We were the Conemaugh Twp. Indians!  He somehow extrapolated all this to his now understanding why we were a great military power or something like that.  

When we get back, I'm going to let Redjeb do all the telling of our activities--like an anthropologist watching the natives and making weird interpretations.

Naturally we are still on our NYC schedule, so when we drove back, it was after 11 and we stopped at Eat N Park (the only 24 hour place in Somerset) and split a fish dinner--us and all the high school kids hanging out.

I'll write about the campaigning tomorrow morn, as it is almost 1 am and I'm really sleepy.

No comments: