Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The B&B: a tense morning

Well, I guess some of my paranoia was not without merit.  Ever since we had the political talk with another Democratic couple at breakfast the other day, I feared we were out of the closet with our leanings.  Of course we wear our Obama pins, and our car which is parked outside has Obama stuff all over the back seat (visible from outside).

But yesterday I said to Redjeb that I felt things were changing here and not for the better.  For one, at breakfast I always start with a cup of real coffee and then move onto decaf, which she has been preparing for Redjeb.  We are the only guests here now during the week, as the others tend to come on the weekend.  So yesterday when only one carafe of coffee was on the table, she said that's all she was making.  So I had to drink that (& go to the local cafe later to get my jolt). 

I also noticed that her compulsion to change the towels at every use had changed.  We had been amused by her compulsiveness. If you took a bath, before you knew it, the towel had disappeared and a new one was in its place.  That is no more.  Yesterday morning's used bath towel is still hanging by the tub and the tub was not cleaned, as usual.  I didn't want to give in to my paranoia but did feel a change had occurred.  

My suspicions were confirmed the morning.  When I went downstairs for breakfast, Fox news was blaring on the TV.  Trying to appear open-minded, I stopped to listen, as Rep. Murtha was being blasted for saying this part of the state is racist and redneck.  Dah...  Then McCain appeared.  Joyce, our hostess, stopped in front of the TV beside me and said, 

"That's my man."  

I had been wanting to break the ice on this topic, so quietly said, 

"We're for Obama."

"I know," she said.  Then added, "That's my girl," as Palin appeared on TV.  

I tried to say positive things about how if they didn't win, Palin would be even better to run in 4 years, to which Joyce responded:  

"She has much more experience than Obama.  She's been governor."

I wanted to respond, "So what's being a Senator: Swiss cheese," but didn't.

At that point, I kept repeating that I didn't want to get into this discussion, but, I guess, Joyce had been holding a lot in for the past days.  She started going on and on with the usual, including that she is upset about ACORN and that it is OK to win an election, but it should be done fairly.  I continued to say I didn't want to speak about this while we were staying there.

She tried to hold herself in, and we made small talk for a while over breakfast, but she got in her lines:  

"I believe in drill, drill, drill."
"I love my country and always have."

 ...And complaining about people on food stamps not wanting to work.

When Redjeb raised the issue of why has the price of oil gone down; who's responsible for that, I said, 
"The oil companies of course.  They saw that people weren't driving as much, so they brought it down."

To which she said:  
"I don't remember what he said, but it was after Bush said something that they went down."  

So I guess that means we should thank Bush for the lowering of the prices.  Wish he had said that something sooner.

In some part of the conversation she mentioned that her husband Dan had seen Bob S, whom I'd met the other day (the Democratic committee man I had met while knocking on doors in Davidsville).  In talking to Bob I found out that he and Dan work for the same Hospice as pastors.  He told me to say hello to Dan, but I decided not too, as I didn't want Dan to know how I'd come to meet him.  But in telling us, Joyce asked how we had come to meet Bob.  I just answered:  "In Davidsville."  I didn't want to say that we had knocked on his door during our canvassing, since I don't know if she knows how active we are.  Of course she probably has seen all my lists and such in the room when she cleans--though I try to hide them or take them with me.  

This is indeed a small town around here:  3 not 6 degrees of separation, I am finding out.

I told her that we may be making our stay shorter and leaving on Sunday rather than a week from Thurs, because of my problems with my tooth (might need a root canal).  She didn't flinch, so I think she'd like to get us out of here as soon as she can.

But as I was leaving the room, she in trying to be open-minded too, told me that the governor is coming to town on Saturday for a rally (something that I knew).  I guess she won't be going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this could become material for a good TV series. I don't know if I could have restrained myself she said the "drill, drill, drill" bit! When are you returning? Jeanie & David